I absolutely love dance music, it is a real passion of mine. I’ve got a huge collection of dance and underground tracks and DJ mixes on various formats, from vinyl and tape cassette to CD and MP3s. Spanning from the 80s house and acid scene right up until the present day.
It felt special, it was ours, it wasn’t commercial, you had to go to your local underground club, backstreet record store or listen on pirate radio to hear a lot of it back in the old days. Okay, it got commercial, and a lot of the early DJs and groups like the Prodigy were criticized for ‘selling out’, but why shouldn’t you make a bit of money doing the thing you love?
I used to look up to and admire the DJ legends like Carl Cox, Sasha, Paul Van Dyk, Tiesto, Sander Kleinenberg and Armin Van Buuren, but with the rise of the goddamn awful commercial as fuck ‘EDM‘ scene, some of the these DJs switched and sold their souls to the commercial devil!
Did you ever wonder how these so-called DJs have the time to produce all those tracks they put out, when they are jetting around the world DJing (I use that term loosely with today’s technology!) at all those exotic locations for £millions a set, promoting their events, running their radio show, advertising various stuff and talking bullshit?
Well, it’s all because they use somebody else’s creativity! They use Ghost Producers to plow out track after track. All the tracks sound pretty much the same and follow a formulaic beat, like they are using a generic EDM template. Yes, the EDM genre of the once creative dance music scene is just as manufactured as the pop industry and these superstar DJs we all look up to take full credit pretty much most of the time!
I expect it with DJs like David Guetta and Diplo, but not the other DJs! It’s a disgrace that these DJs constantly dominate the top spots of Top 100 DJs in the World lists year after year.
It’s not all doom and gloom though as DJ Mat Zo exposed a list of these dance ghost producers and who they make tracks for on Twitter late last year, so some DJs are actually trying to keep the scene alive and expose the phonies!
Here is a list of the supposedly best DJ producers in the world and their ghost producers
- Tiesto – Dennis Waakop Reijers & Brian Transau
- Armin Van Buuren: Benno De Goeij, Raz Nitzan, Adrian Broekhuyse
- Benny Benassi – Alessandro Benassi
- Steve Aoki – Justin bates
- Fei-Fei – Joey Medina
- Kristina Sky – Randy Boyer
- Miss Nine – 16 Bit Lolita’s
- Gareth Emery – Dave Parkinson
- Ferry Corsten – Raz Nitzan, Adrian Broekhuyse
- Alex M.O.R.P.H – Dirk & Marco Duderstadt, Timo Kollöchter, Christian Melerski
- Sasha – Charlie May, Duncan Forbes
- Timo Maas – Martin Buttrich
- Loco Dice – Martin Buttrich
- Marcus Schulz – Raz Nitzan, Adrian Broekhuyse
- David Guetta: Joachim Garraud, Jean-Charles Marcel Gerard Carré,
- Dimitri Vegas – Maarten Vorwerk
- Diplo/Major Lazer – Derrek Allen
- Like Mike – Maarten Vorwerk
- Nervo: Zrog
- DVBBS – Niles Hollowell-Dhar & Maarten Vorwerk
- Danny Avila – Maarten Vorwerk
- Quintino: Laidback Luke & Maarten Vorwerk
- Borgeous – Niles Hollowell-Dhar
- R3HAB: Fabian Lenssen
- Sander Kleinenberg – Thomas Helsloot
- Marc Benjamin: Thomas Helsloot